What Is Formula E? How Does It Vary From Formula 1?
It’s an irrefutable fact that Formula 1 has been ruling the sports headlines for decades. But little did we know about its younger brother, Formula E, the eco-friendly single-seater racing series, which is now becoming immensely popular. Officially known as the ABB Formula E Championship, this motorsport event uses only electric cars.
Formula E Championship is all about being ecologically sound. It encourages petrolheads to reduce carbon traces as much as they could, which would create a tangible impact on environmental sustainability. The thought of conducting Formula E races started in 2011, and FIA first conceptualized this event in 2014. Nelson Piquet Jr. became the first-ever Formula E championship in 2014 in Beijing, China.
Formula E Racing Schedule for the Year 2020
|January 18th, 2020||Santiago ePrix||Chile|
|February 15th, 2020||Mexico ePrix||Mexico City||Coming Soon|
|February 29th, 2020||Marrakesh ePrix||Morocco||Coming Soon|
|March 21st, 2020||Sanya ePrix||China||Coming Soon|
|April 4th, 2020||Rome ePrix||Italy||Coming Soon|
|April 18th, 2020||Paris ePrix||France||Coming Soon|
|May 3rd, 2020||Seoul ePrix||South Korea||Coming Soon|
|June 6th, 2020||Jakarta ePrix||Indonesia||Coming Soon|
|June 21st, 2020||Berlin ePrix||Germany||Coming Soon|
|July 11th, 2020||New York ePrix||United States||Coming Soon|
|July 25th, 2020||London ePrix||United Kingdom||Coming Soon|
|July 26th, 2020||London ePrix||United Kingdom||Coming Soon|
About the Teams and Drivers
|AUDI SPORT ABT SCHAEFFLER||12||41||60||Daniel ABT and Lucas Di Grassi|
|BMW I ANDRETTI MOTORSPORT||2||11||60||Max Guenther and Alexander|
|DS TECHEETAH||8||22||39||Jean-Éric Vergne and António Félix Da Costa|
|ENVISION VIRGIN RACING||11||26||60||Sam Bird and Robin Frijns|
|GEOX DRAGON||2||9||60||Brendon Hartley and Nico Muller|
|MAHINDRA RACING||4||18||60||Jérôme d’Ambrosio and Pascal Wehrlein|
|MERCEDES-BENZ EQ||0||3||15||Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries|
|NIO 333||2||6||60||Oliver Turkey and Ma Qinghua|
|NISSAN E.DAMS||16||32||60||Sébastien Buemi and Oliver Rowland|
|PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING||1||4||39||Mitch Evans and James Calado|
|TAG HEUER PORSCHE||0||1||2||Andre Lotterer and Neel Jani|
|ROKIT VENTURI RACING||1||6||60||Felipe Massa and Edoardo Mortara|
Ways to Watch Formula E Live
And, for those who are intending to enjoy the races in the comfort of your home, here are the official broadcasting partners that would live stream Formula E on your TV and mobile device.
|Country||Broadcasters (Cable and non-cable)||Language||Free/Subscription||Live/Highlights||Regional content restriction|
|Australia||Fox Sports||English||Subscription required||Live||Yes|
|Canada||Fox Sports Racing and RDS||English and French||Subscription required||Live||Yes|
|Mexico||Televisa||Spanish||Free||Live (Mexico City ePrix only)||Yes|
|The United Kingdom||BBC Sport and Quest TV||English||Free||Live||Yes|
|The United States||Fox Sports||English||Subscription required||Live||Yes|
This regional content restriction commonly exists on all major platforms, including BBC Sports, RDS, Quest TV, and more. You can defeat these geo-restrictions and unblock your desired streaming services by subscribing to a VPN provider.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Stream Formula E Races?
Let’s understand why exactly you need to go for a VPN service to stream the Formula E championship races live.
In general, popular streaming applications like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime impose blocks that restrict content based on where you live. These Geoblocks have not spared sports streaming applications either, as most of them come up with a blackout warning or a varying content library in each location. Streaming applications or websites can find your geographic location using your IP address, and that’s how you are subject to geo-restrictions.
For example, if you are trying to access BBC iPlayer from China, it is not going to work. You will end up with a warning message that says video available only in the UK.
You can’t accuse BBC iPlayer of this, because it is usual for content producers to restrict their videos only to a specific region due to licensing rights. That’s when a VPN can benefit you. A VPN or a Virtual Private Network can easily mask your real IP address and virtually shift you to a different country, thereby unblocking any desired streaming service. However, not all VPNs are alike when it comes to bypassing content restrictions. There is always a constant tug of war between streaming applications and VPNs, as most of them blacklist shared VPN IPs. So, choosing a VPN can still be tricky, as you need to go down deep and research the market. But, there is also a shortcut to it. With VPNStore’s expert recommended list of VPNs,
You can choose an ideal VPN that quickly overcomes any geographical censorship and streams the Formula E sporting event from anywhere in the world.
ExpressVPN comes with VPN servers optimized for high-quality Formula E streaming. These streaming-friendly servers can save you from ISP throttling, implying that your Internet provider can’t track your online activities and intentionally slow down your streams. You can enjoy unlimited video streaming with ExpressVPN on any device, as it is compatible with a broad spectrum of platforms.
- Number of servers – 3000+ servers in more than 90 countries.
- Platform Compatibility – Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Asus, DD-WRT, D-Link, Linksys, Netduma, Netgear, Sabai, Tomato, TP-Link, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Boxee Box, Chromecast, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Roku, WD TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360.
- Parallel Connections – 5 devices
- Bandwidth – Unlimited
- Free Trial / Money Back Guarantee – 30 days
at $8.32/per month
NordVPN is one of the top VPN service providers to come with an extensive server network. It also comes with consistent speeds and unlimited bandwidth, using which you can stream Formula E races without any buffering or interruption. More than offering quality streaming service, NordVPN secures your internet connection with its high-standard encryption protocol and an automatic kill switch. With NordVPN’s DoubleVPN protection, you will get to experience two-fold privacy, which makes your VPN connection almost non-traceable.
- Number of servers – 5000+ servers in more than 59 countries.
- Platform Compatibility – Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, Routers, Chromebook, Kindle Fire, Nook, Chrome, Firefox, PlayStation, Apple TV, Xbox, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Nintendo Switch, Samsung Smart TV, All Smart TVs, Chromecast, Roku, Nvidia Shield.
- Parallel Connections – 6 devices.
- Bandwidth – Unlimited.
- Free Trial / Money Back Guarantee – 30 days.
at $2.99/per month
With VyprVPN’s unique Chameleon protocol, you can now bid goodbye to VPN blocking and throttling. Connecting to a VyprVPN server not just prevents interceptions by external parties, it completely hides your VPN connection. This VPN provider comes with a robust unblocking technique that can bypass even the Great Firewall of China, thus making it one of the best VPNs to stream Formula E races. VyprVPN servers are first-party owned, thereby guaranteeing absolute data security.
- The number of servers – 700+ servers in 70 countries.
- Platform Compatibility – Windows OS, Mac OS, Android OS, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Amazon OS, Blackphone, Tomato Firmware, DDWRT Firmware, OpenWRT, AsusWRT, Anonabox, QNAP, Kodi
- Parallel Connections – 5
- Bandwidth – Unlimited in the Premium Plan
- Money Back Guarantee – 30 days
at $5/per month
4. SurfShark VPN
Though SurfShark is a newly established VPN provider in the industry, it has managed to carve a niche for itself in a short time. It comes with the NoBorder mode that can unblock even some of the stern and uncompromising streaming channels like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. With the same ease, you can gain access to all online platforms that broadcast the 2020 Formula E Championship races. The Double-Hop feature of SurfShark allows you to connect with two different VPN servers simultaneously. SurfShark also features an automatic kill switch that protects your data during an unexpected connection drop.
- Number of servers – 1000+ servers in more than 60 countries
- Platform Compatibility – macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Fire TV, Apple TV, Xbox, PlayStation, Google Chrome, and Firefox
- Parallel Connections – Unlimited
- Bandwidth – Unlimited
- Free Trial / Money Back Guarantee – 30 days
at $1.99/per month
5. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost has a wide range of server network spread all over the globe, which brings about an almost impeccable streaming experience. With CyberGhost’s multiple servers optimized for streaming sports platforms, you will never miss out on a single action from this year’s Formula E races. CyberGhost’s streaming ability comes with an extremely user-friendly client coupled with reliable tunneling encryption protocols. It also protects you against malware attacks and advertisements encountered during your streams.
- Number of servers – 5900+ servers in more than 89 countries.
- Platform Compatibility – macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Fire TV, Android TV, Tomato, DD-WRT, Chrome, Firefox.
- Parallel Connections – 7 devices.
- Bandwidth – Unlimited.
- Free Trial / Money Back Guarantee – 45 days.
at $2.75/per month
Steps to Unblock Any Streaming Platform Using a VPN
- Choose and sign up for a VPN provider based on the above recommendations.
- Install the client and sign in.
- Determine the platform you wish to unblock.
- For unblocking the Fox Sports channel, connect to a server located in the United States.
- If you already have subscribed to Fox Sports GO, head to the app and start watching the races.
- You can also stream the races through Fox channel’s official website.
- Similarly, if you wish to unblock BBC Sports, choose a server from the United Kingdom.
- Visit BBC iPlayer and enjoy your streams for free.
Formula E – An Overview of the Past Results
|Season||Year||Driver Championship||Team Championship|
|5||2018–19||Jean-Éric Vergne||DS Techeetah|
|4||2017–18||Jean-Éric Vergne||Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler|
|3||2016–17||Lucas di Grassi||Renault e.dams|
|2||2015–16||Sébastien Buemi||Renault e.dams|
|1||2014–15||Nelson Piquet Jr.||Renault e.dams|