- Speed 84% 84%
- Servers 82% 82%
- User Experience 87% 87%
- Support 89% 89%
- Pricing 83% 83%
Overall Rating: 4.3 / 5
Redwood City, CA 94063
About Hotspot Shield VPN
Hotspot Shield has its unique Catapult Hydra VPN protocol that optimizes speed when connected to long-distance servers. It also comes with other salient features like widespread server locations, top-grade encryption standards, and a 45-day money-back option. This Hotspot Shield VPN review covers all significant highlights so that you can understand if it’s a desirable VPN provider that protects your online privacy.
Today’s Hotspot Shield VPN Deals
Table of Contents
Features of Hotspot Shield VPN
- Encryption Standard: AES-256
- Automatic Kill Switch: Yes
- Tunneling Protocols : Catapult Hydra VPN Protocol
- DNS Leak Protection: Yes
- Ad/Malware Blocker: Yes
- Simultaneous Connections: 5
- Data Logging: Minor logging
- Bandwidth: Unlimited
- Torrenting Capability: Yes
- Browser Extension: Available (only for Chrome)
- Netflix Accessibility: Yes
- Server Details: 3200+ servers in 70+ countires
- Business Headquarters: United States (5 Eyes)
- Lowest subscription cost: Free/$6.99 per month
- Device Compatibility: macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome
Additional Features of Hotspot Shield VPN
- The Catapult Hydra VPN Technology – Unlike other VPN providers, Hotspot Shield doesn’t use conventional VPN protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, or IPsec. Instead, they have come up with their own exclusive Catapult Hydra protocol, which is one of its kind. With multiple algorithms, this unique technology guarantees to accelerate the performance of your VPN. Hotspot Shield also allows external security auditors to assess Hydra’s security code regularly.
- With Hotspot Shield, you can detect malicious links and block annoying advertisements. But, note the fact that you can do this only if you are a premium customer.
- As a basic(free) Hotspot Shield user, you can connect to a single device. If you are a premium user, Hotspot Shield comes with a maximum allowable device of 5. Wherein, if you sign up for Hotspot Shield’s business plan, you can connect up to 20 devices concurrently.
- When it comes to cross-platform compatibility, Hotspot Shield is not versatile. It does not support devices like gaming consoles, Kodi, Routers, Smart TVs, and Windows phones.
- While Hotspot Shield protects you against DNS vulnerabilities, it doesn’t guarantee to protect against IPv6 leaks.
Pricing and Payment Structure of Hotspot Shield VPN
$107.64 Billed Every 3 Years
$95.88 every Year
Hotspot Shield accepts the following payment methods:
- Visa Card
- Master Card
- Amex Card
- Discover Card
- Japan Credit Bureau
- Diners Club International
Speed & Performance – How Fast is Hotspot Shield VPN?
|The United States||New York||12ms||58.20 Mbps||10.51 Mbps|
|The United Kingdom||London||94ms||68.20 Mbps||5.61 Mbps|
|Europe||Germany||99ms||69.15 Mbps||6.23 Mbps|
|Asia||Japan||272ms||71.12 Mbps||3.47 Mbps|
With Hotspot Shield VPN, we were able to unblock the Netflix version of the U.S. But, unfortunately, this VPN provider doesn’t unblock other popular streaming applications like BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Though Hotspot Shield claims that it offers specialized servers optimized for streaming channels, it is not as persuasive as promised by the VPN provider. Moreover, this VPN doesn’t support gaming consoles like Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo, signifying that it is not a perfect VPN for gamers.
On the brighter side, with Hotspot Shield VPN’s unlimited P2P servers, you can carry out secure P2P file transfers. It is thus a torrent-friendly VPN service provider.
Server Coverage of Hotspot Shield VPN
Their VPN servers are spread across the following locations:
Customer Support Service
Pros of Hotspot Shield VPN
- Strong encryption
- User-friendly client
- Widespread servers
- Great speeds
- Excellent support
- 45-day moneyback guarantee
- Works with Netflix
Cons of Hotspot Shield VPN
- Data logging
- Limited platforms
- Five Eyes
- No streaming other than Netflix
- Single tunneling protocol
- No IP leak protection
We hope this Hotspot Shield VPN review gave you an honest outlook of this provider. You can also add your thoughts on the comment box below.
Let’s Compare Hotspot Shield VPN v/s:
|VPN Providers||Customer Ratings||Compare with Hotspot Shield|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs nordvpn|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs IPVanish VPN|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs TunnelBear|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs ProtonVPN|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs Windscribe|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs CyberGhost|
|Compare Hotspot Shield vs ExpressVPN|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Hotspot Shield VPN free?
Hotspot Shield VPN does not have a free version. Instead, this VPN provider offers a 7-day free trial. To enjoy this privilege, users need to sign up for Hotspot Shield using Google Play or App Store.
Is Hotspot VPN good?
Yes, Hotspot Shield is one of the budding VPN providers in the market. It replaces your real IP with a dynamic IP address and relocates your location virtually. Though it doesn’t entirely bypass geo-restrictions, Hotspot Shield works with the most sought-after streaming application Netflix. Most of all, it comes with impressive speeds, and the client is exceptionally user-friendly.
Does Hotspot Shield VPN work in China?
Yes, with Hotspot Shield VPN you can bypass the Great Firewall of China. It also labeled as one of the fastest VPN providers to work perfectly inside China.
Does Hotspot Shield VPN have a kill switch?
Yes, Hotspot Shield VPN has an integrated kill switch that protects your data during an unexpected connection loss.
Does Hotspot Shield VPN have Split Tunneling functionality?
No, Hotspot Shield VPN lacks Split Tunneling functionality. It means that you will not be able to choose the traffic that needs to pass through its secure VPN tunnel.
Does Hotspot Shield VPN accept Bitcoin payment?
No, Hotspot Shield does not support any anonymous payment methods, including Bitcoins.
What is Hotspot Shield for iPhone?
Hotspot Shield for iPhone adds an extra layer of protection that keeps your mobile data away from unsolicited third parties. Apart from your iPhone, Hotspot Shield also protects other Apple devices like iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.
What is Hotspot Shield Free VPN Proxy?
Hotspot Shield VPN free proxy is an integrated feature that creates a secure virtual tunnel between you and your internet connection, ensuring that your web traffic reaches the Internet securely.
Can Hotspot Shield be trusted?
Yes, Hotspot Shield is a reliable VPN provider. If you are looking to protect your online privacy and encrypt your internet traffic, Hotspot Shield does a great job. But, remember that Hotspot Shield is not an ideal choice for advanced anonymity seekers. It logs minor user information and deletes it at the end of each session. It also falls under the Five Eyes jurisdiction. Hence, it would be wise to go for this provider based on the level of privacy you need.
How do I download Hotspot Shield VPN?
2.) If you are going for the premium plan, pay and proceed with the download
3.) Else, download it free
You can also download the application on your mobile device through Google Play and App Store.
Does Hotspot Shield hide your IP?
Yes, Hotspot Shield hides your real IP address and allocates a dynamic IP for each session.
Hotspot Shield VPN Alternatives
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
- Use up to 6 devices
- Best for Steaming Events
- DDoS Protection
- Access Any Website
- Secure Wi-Fi
- Connect up to 5 devices
- No Logging Policy
- Split Tunneling
- Easy to use
- Free version available
- Unlimited devices
- Supports P2P
- 30-day Money Back
- 24/7 expert support