- Speed 85% 85%
- Servers 86% 86%
- User Experience 87% 87%
- Support 88% 88%
- Pricing 82% 82%
Overall Rating: 4.1 / 5
About TunnelBear VPN
This TunnelBear VPN review covers everything required for basic and advanced secuirty nerds
TunnelBear is a Canada-based VPN provider that has its affiliation with the renowned brand McAfee, the company behind the popular antivirus software services. TunnelBear is one of the few VPN providers to come with free and paid versions. While the free version can unlock the complete list of TunnelBear’s VPN servers, it comes with a trivial 500 MB of data per month. If you look at the promising side of TunnelBear, it comes with excellent encryption standards to secure your online privacy.
TunnelBear also claims to be the only consumer VPN to perform an independent security audit every year. Is it legit to describe TunnelBear as a feature-packed VPN? Was it developed to best meet the needs of both professional and basic privacy seekers?
Our TunnelBear VPN review helps you evaluate and understand if this provider truly satisfies your privacy needs.
Today’s TunnelBear VPN Deal
58% Discount – TunnelBear VPN 2-Year plan at $4.17 per Month
Table of Contents
Features of TunnelBear VPN
- Encryption Standard: AES-256
- Automatic Kill Switch: Yes
- Version: 3.0.13b1
- Tunneling Protocols : OpenVPN, IKEv2, IPsec
- IPv6 Leak Protection : Yes
- DNS Leak Protection: Yes
- Ad Blocker: Yes (Chrome extension)
- Simultaneous Connections: 5
- Data Logging: Minor logging
- Bandwidth: Unlimited
- Torrenting Capability: Allows P2P file sharing
- TOR Compatibility: Yes
- Split Tunneling : Yes
- Browser Extension: Available
- Netflix Accessibility: Doesn’t work with Netflix
- Server Details: 22 countries (The exact number of servers are unknown)
- Business Headquarters: Canada (5 Eyes)
- Lowest subscription cost: Free/$4.99 per month
- Device Compatibility: macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Opera
Additional Features of TunnelBear VPN
- TunnelBear comes with an automatic Wi-Fi protection option that secures you when connected to an open encrypted Wi-Fi network.
- The GhostBear feature makes your VPN undetectable, which means that your VPN-encrypted data is away from the prying eyes of your ISP, advertisers, snoopers, and even the Government.
- TunnelBear’s term to the internet kill switch is VigilantBear. This feature automatically disconnects your traffic and protects you against data leaks when your connection is unstable.
- Split tunneling at TunnelBear is known as SplitBear. This feature allows you to choose the applications that require VPN protection.
Unfortunately, you can’t configure TunnelBear with home routers, which is a downside when it comes to platform compatibility. It also doesn’t offer dedicated IPs like some of its competitors on the VPN market.
When it comes to data logging, TunnelBear VPN doesn’t track sensitive user information like traffic or IP logs. This provider logs minor user details like account and billing information to ensure that you are not exceeding the number of parallel connections. Not to forget the fact that this VPN provider is based in Canada that comes under the Five Eyes data surveillance program.
Pricing and Payment Structure of TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear VPN comes with three simple categories of subscription plans:
- Free plan
- Monthly plan
- Annual plan
If you wish to get unlimited data, you can go for the paid plans of TunnelBear and pay on a monthly or annual basis. With the yearly subscription plan of TunnelBear VPN, you can unlock its comprehensive features at a discounted rate of 50%.
TunnelBear VPN offers the following payment methods:
- Master card
- Visa card
- Amex card
Interestingly, TunnelBear VPN also accepts jars of honey as payment.
TunnelBear doesn’t have a defined refund policy. It states that the refund requests will be processed at the sole discretion of the provider.
Speed & Performance – How Fast is TunnelBear VPN?
As you could see the speed test results below, TunnelBear’s overall speeds were fairly average. We did not experience any disconnection or instability though.
|The United States||New York||21ms||52.12 Mbps||27.11 Mbps|
|Europe||Germany||119ms||33.04 Mbps||12.63 Mbps|
|Asia||Japan||327ms||15.18 Mbps||7.57 Mbps|
Server Coverage of TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear VPN allows you to access the Internet from the following countries securely:
Customer Support Service
Unfortunately, TunnelBear doesn’t have a live chat option. Their email support is also slow.
Pros of TunnelBear VPN
- User-friendly client
- Free version available
- Impressive security features
- Accepts Bitcoin payment
- Allows torrenting
- Works with the TOR
Cons of TunnelBear VPN
- Servers located in just 22 countries
- Doesn’t unblock streaming applications
- Inside the Five Eyes (Canada)
- Mediocre customer support
- Not compatible with routers
- Vague refund policy
We hope this TunnelBear VPN review gave you an honest outlook of this provider. You can also add your thoughts on the comment box below.
Let’s Compare TunnelBear VPN v/s:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is TunnelBear VPN free?
Yes, TunnelBear VPN comes with a free version of its service, offering 500 MB of data per month, with complete access to all VPN servers.
Is TunnelBear VPN good?
TunnelBear is a good VPN if your privacy intent is going to be a basic one. It comes with advanced encryption standards, offering the best security on the market. Some users might consider TunnelBear as an incomplete VPN, due to its inability to unblock streaming applications.
Who owns TunnelBear VPN?
The renowned antivirus giant McAfee owns TunnelBear VPN.
Does TunnelBear VPN work in China?
While, TunnelBear VPN works inside China, you might experience frequent and unexpected connections drops.
Does TunnelBear hide your IP address?
Yes, TunnelBear masks your real IP and replaces it with the temporary VPN IP. Apart from hiding your IP address, TunnelBear also protects you against DNS and IP leaks.
Does TunnelBear have a kill switch?
Yes, TunnelBear has an in-built kill switch known as VigilantBear. It protects your data by stopping all traffic when your connection gets disrupted.
TunnelBear VPN Alternatives
- Unlimited devices
- Supports P2P
- 30-day Money Back
- 24/7 expert support
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
- Use up to 6 devices
- Best for Steaming Events
- DDoS Protection
- Access Any Website
- Secure Wi-Fi
- Connect up to 5 devices
- No Logging Policy
- Split Tunneling
- Easy to use
- Free version available