Site-to-site VPN also called as the gateway VPN, primarily focuses on communicating privately between two intended sites. This private communication takes place by encrypting the traffic between the gateways of two sites using ciphers and encryption algorithms.
How does a site-to-site VPN work?
Let’s say if your desktop wants to communicate with a remote server and access the data protected by it. From the desktop’s perspective, it is in the local gateway and from the server’s perspective, there is another gateway called the remote gateway. While you are trying to reach the server, the data packet from the desktop gets routed to this local gateway, which is part of the entire VPN networking design.
When the local gateway recognizes the destination IP as part of the remotely protected network, it will initiate a VPN tunnel between the two gateways. These two gateways exchange keys which makes this tunnel a secure one. Now, the remote gateway decrypts your data packet and shares it with the server. This process happens in a reverse way, as the server acknowledges the client’s request.
1) Intranet-based VPN: This VPN is created within a Local Area Network. An intranet-based VPN is considered as private, as it is a space for users within an organization to exchange information.
2) Extranet-based VPN: This VPN is similar to intranet-based VPN, but it acts as a channel that provides privileged access to authorized vendors, customers, and other third parties. In other words, extranet-based VPN allows you to access the organization’s intranet through the internet.
Some of the other major highlights of site-to-site VPN are as follows:
- Site-to-site allows multiple user access
- Unlike Remote Access VPN, it deploys only IPSec protocol
- While remote access VPN targets users like Teleworkers, digital nomads and telecommuters, site-to-site VPN helps two business locations that need dedicated encryption
- While remote access VPN comes with the traditional gateway to reach the internet destination, this type of VPN has a peer-to-peer gateway
Site-to-site VPN offers you dedicated encryption. It also comes with multiple user access, that encourages a flexible workforce for your business. With the secure encryption technique, a site-to-site VPN allows you to exchange information instantly and securely, all over the globe. Remember that setting up site-to-site VPN could be a complicated process. Hence you might require an expert as a helping hand.