Virtual Private Network, well-known as VPN is nothing but remote networks that are interconnected to each other over the Internet. This network or group of computers helps its users by masking their IP by assigning them one of its IPs. Likewise, it also helps to download and browse anonymously and bypass web filters. Your data that passes through the VPN’s encrypted tunnel will remain secure and encrypted. To achieve this anonymity, you will need a VPN.
Here’s a list of people who need VPNs with reasons why a VPN is necessary. Checkout our list to see if you belong to one of these categories.
Who Should Use a VPN?
VPN for Travelers
- Travelers might have to use free public WiFi networks when they travel abroad and this could leave them vulnerable. In such cases, they can use a VPN to keep their data safe.
- Some websites are blocked in some locations. YouTube, Facebook, etc are blocked in certain locations. If you are traveling to one such country, you can use a VPN and choose a server in a country where that particular website is available. This way, a VPN can help travelers bypass geo-blocks.
- The same applies to Facetime, Skype, and Whatsapp. If you are in a location that blocks Voice over Protocol services, you can use a VPN to access these services.
- A VPN will help travelers access streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc thereby helping them catch up with their favorite shows while they travel.
- Travelers may have trouble logging into their bank accounts while abroad as banks are likely to freeze their accounts if they usually login from one location and all of a sudden log in from a foreign country. Travelers can overcome this situation by using a VPN.
- Flight and hotel booking sites generally take your location into account while determining deals. You can use a VPN and try logging in from a different location to check if you can get a better deal. You definitely will find a better deal!
VPN for Gamers
- Certain games are blocked in certain locations. For example, countries like China and Australia block certain games that involve violence. Many other countries also have restrictions on the type of games that can be played in those regions. If you live in one such country that bans certain games, you can use a VPN to gain access to those banned games. You can just log in to the VPN and connect to a server in a country where the game is available to play the blocked game.
- New game releases don’t happen at the same time in all countries. In some countries, new games are released hours or days before they are released worldwide. You can get access to the game before anyone else in your country if you use a VPN. All you need to do is to just connect to the server in the country where the game is available and access the game.
- Hackers find loopholes in games to steal users’ personal information. A VPN is extremely important to stay away from such threats. Gamers will need to use a VPN to have improved gaming experience. DDoS attacks are more common these days. Many VPN services provide dedicated anti-DDoS VPN servers that can help gamers overcome such threats.
- Gaming lags can cause frustration. If your system and the game servers are miles apart, you will face latency issues. You can overcome this problem with a VPN. You can log in to the VPN and connect to a server near the location of the game server. This will greatly reduce latency and ping. This way, you can avoid your game from pausing or freezing.
VPN for Journalists
- Journalists are more likely to put themselves at risk of being exposed if at all someone monitors their online activities. But they can prevent their identities from getting revealed by using a VPN. A VPN will help hide their real IP and help them stay anonymous. This way, they can do their research online while also protecting their personal data. A VPN will also make sure their browsing history is not stored.
- VPNs make file-sharing easy. Some ISPs restrict access to certain platforms thereby making it almost impossible for journalists to share whitepapers, books, and other materials. VPNs help them get over all such issues.
- Many countries block social media channels. Journalists can overcome such restrictions with a VPN and enhance their reporting. They just need to be logged in to a VPN and have to connect to a server in a country that does not block social media channels. However, they need to be careful as they have to make sure they are not breaking the law by doing so.
- They can research sensitive topics anonymously with a VPN and access reports and publications that are not available in their locations. All they need to do is to connect to a VPN and choose a server in a country from where they wish to access reports.
VPN for Students
- Academic institutions follow strict networking policies and impose restrictions on the websites students can access. But students may have to access certain websites that are blocked for research purposes. To get over the block and access restricted websites, students can use a VPN.
- Students cannot avoid travelling. When they study abroad and travel back home, they may not be able to access the same websites or services available in the foreign country where they study. A VPN can help them solve this problem. They can get a reliable VPN service and connect to a server in the country where they study and access the websites blocked in their region.
- Using a VPN can protect them while they use public WiFi networks. As students, they may have to use public WiFi networks at restaurants, airports, etc that are not secured. Such unsecured networks are breeding grounds for hackers who can steal their personal information. Using a VPN will help them stay secure.
VPN for Social Media Specialists and Bloggers
- It is important for content creators to keep their content protected. When they do not protect themselves and their work online, there are chances of hackers stealing their work. They can use a VPN to secure their data and their work and to keep them invisible online.
- Remote working is very common these days. But this involves a lot of risks when it comes to working on digital marketing from a remote location. Public WiFi networks could leave remote workers vulnerable to security threats. Using a VPN while using a public WiFi network will help them stay secure online. They can safely and anonymously browse the web. Social media marketers can access their clients’ sites from a different location safely by using a VPN.
- If you are a content creator or a social media specialist, you will have to keep an eye on your competitors. With a VPN, you can anonymously analyze your competitors. This way you can avoid seeing targeted ads and also figure out the methods your competitors use for online advertising. Doing so does not mean, you are stealing their tricks but it is the best way to keep your competitor research secret.
- As a digital marketer, you might want to see whether the website you have optimized is ranking well in different locations. With Google showing personalized results, you may find it difficult to track your website’s progress. But a VPN will help you overcome this problem. You can connect to the VPN and login to servers in different locations and check search results.
VPN for Businesses and Websites
- VPNs will help secure business data. Businesses can use VPNs across their networks to make them secure. This way, all the interconnected devices can use the VPN to remain a part of the private network. Businesses can use VPNs to create their own private network and thereby use VPNs as their cybersecurity solution. Doing this will help them prevent attacks and prevent their sensitive business information from being stolen.
- VPNs will help change one’s virtual location. For eg., if a company or a website has a remote office with customer support or sales and if they would like their team to be seen like they are working from a different location, they can use a VPN to change the IP of the entire team. They just have to connect to a server in a location of their choice.
- Employees travel often and many employees work remotely. By using a VPN they can exchange sensitive data securely. VPNs will also help them keep their data safe if they happen to use public WiFi networks while they travel.
- Businesses of all sizes can use VPNs to secure their data which includes payroll, employee and customer information, product catalogs, etc. With a VPN, they can securely share this data between offices and their employees. Websites also use VPN to protect themselves and their users from being affected by malware.
VPN for Downloaders
- Surfshark VPN
When it comes to privacy, no-logs policy, and strong encryption, NordVPN will be our first choice. It has over 5000 servers in more than 50 countries. NordVPN, which is torrent-friendly, will allow you to torrent anonymously. This VPN is great for gamers, as well, as it offers fast speeds. It is also one of the best VPNs for PUBG, as it can help you play the game without any lags.
NordVPN is well-known for its strict no-log policy for enhanced privacy and security and for its huge server network. For enhanced security, NordVPN offers DNS/IP leak protection.
Torrenting is allowed and you can download the VPN on any device of your choice as it has apps for most popular platforms. Apart from that, there are extensions for Chrome & Firefox.
- 5200+ servers in 62 countries
- Use up to 6 devices
- Next-generation Encryption
- Double VPN Feature
- Strict no-logs policy
NordVPN is our top recommendation as it comes packed with all the features one would look for in a VPN. It offers unlimited bandwidth, which is an added advantage. This VPN is great for people who look for VPN services that are good for streaming as it is good at unblocking Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, and more. In addition, if you are someone who wishes to use the VPN on multiple platforms like Android, Windows, Linux, iOS, macOS, Android TV, and routers, NordVPN will be a great choice.
Read our NordVPN review to know more about its features.
ExpressVPN, one of our favorite VPNs, is an ideal option to get around geo-blocks. It is one of the fastest VPNs for PUBG and for unblocking streaming services like Netflix, as well. It offers robust security features and is one of the VPNs that have a simple to use interface.
Strong 256-bit encryption is a plus as you can be assured that all data you send and receive will be encrypted so that no one could snoop into your online activities. In addition to that, the kill switch will make sure your IP doesn’t get exposed to any circumstance.
ExpressVPN does not keep activity or connection logs and it offers steady speedy connections. Unlimited bandwidth is an added advantage for those looking to stream shows and movies as they can stream all that they want at any time.
- 160 server locations
- Network Lock kill switch
- Zero-knowledge DNS
- VPN split tunneling
- Stream Sports online
ExpressVPN is an ideal choice for effortlessly unblocking Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, HBO GO, and more. It comes with a user-friendly interface and works with Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers.
Check out our extensive ExpressVPN review for more details.
3. Surfshark VPN
Surfshark is one of the top-rated VPN services for streaming, torrenting, and online gaming. Whether you are a gamer or just a casual VPN user looking to protect your privacy online, you will never get disappointed with Surfshark VPN.
Unblocking Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and other region-blocked streaming services will no longer be a problem with Surfshark VPN. You can effortlessly stream shows and movies in HD with zero restrictions with Surfshark VPN’s servers optimized for streaming. You will no longer witness annoying ads as Surfshark VPN’s CleanWeb feature will make sure those ads do not interrupt you while you stream your favorite shows online.
If you torrent files often and are looking for a safe and reliable VPN service for torrenting, Surfshark VPN will not disappoint you. All of Surfshark VPN’s servers are optimized for streaming and you can have a safe torrenting experience with Surfshark VPN.
- Connect unlimited Devices
- AES-256-GCM encryption
- IP & DNS leak protection
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Free Browser Extensions
- Strict no-logs policy
In addition to 256-bit encryption, Surfshark VPN also follows a strict zero-logs policy to safeguard your privacy. You can stay anonymous while you torrent files, stream shows, or play games online. Take a look at our Surfshark VPN review to know more about its features and why we recommend it.
Whether you are a student, gamer, business person, or just someone who uses public WiFi networks often, VyprVPN will protect you when you are connected to the internet. By managing its own servers, VyprVPN does not involve any hosting companies for its servers. This way, you can be assured that your data will be safe while using this VPN service. VyprVPN is an excellent VPN for gaming, as well as downloading.
VyprVPN is one of our top choices as it does not keep logs, and you need not worry about your online activities being tracked or monitored by anyone. It offers lightning-fast speeds for gaming and downloading and has apps for almost all platforms.
Unlimited bandwidth makes streaming and downloading easy. You can bypass all kinds of stringent censorship restrictions with VyprVPN. VyprVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers, and TVs. If you are a gamer, you can effortlessly unblock games like PUBG. Likewise, it can unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, and more streaming services. Read our full VyprVPN review for more details.
- 160 server locations
- Network Lock Kill switch
- Zero-knowledge DNS
- VPN split tunneling
- Stream Sports online