A VPN or a Virtual Private Network is a technology that allows browsing the internet safely and anonymously. When we wish to access the restricted content anywhere on the planet earth, VPN plays its role. VPN not only allows to browse anonymously; Top VPNs Provider offers the strongest 256-bit AES encryption to protect your communication.
Whether you are a newbie or a tech expert, the configuration and use of a VPN can sometimes become complicated. Setting up the VPN manually or using the VPN Software; solving some Errors can be challenging.
Here, we have explained the List of Common VPN Error Codes and their troubleshoot guide.
Common VPN Error Codes
- VPN Error Code 800
- VPN Error Code 609, 633
- VPN Error Code 732, 734, 812
- VPN Error Code 806
- VPN Error Code 789, 835
- VPN Error Code 766
- VPN Error Code 691
- VPN Error Code 809
- VPN Error Code 13806
- VPN Error Code 13801
- VPN Error Code 0x800704C9
- VPN Error Code 0x80070040
- VPN Error Code 0x800B0101
- VPN Error Code 0x800B0109
- VPN Error Code 0x800B010F
- VPN Error Code 0x80092013
- VPN Error Code 0x800704D4
- VPN Error Code 0x80072746
Let’s discuss Each VPN Error Codes in detail with their Troubleshooting Tips:
VPN Error code 800
Cause of the Error: The prime reason for this error is when the user has set the VPN Tunnel type as Automatic, and all tunnels fail to establish the connection.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 800
- To get rid of this error the user must establish the exact VPN Tunnel at the client-side during the deployment process.
- From Network Connection > Select your Connection, press the Right-Click button > Properties > Securities Tab > ‘Type of VPN’ > select the proper VPN tunnel.
- Perform following operation to get rid of this error
(i) Check whether the VPN server is reachable or not (or else Ping the server)
(ii) If you are using PPTP, check whether the PPTP Port (TCS 1723) or GRE Port (47) blocked in Firewall.
(iii) If you are using L2TP, check:
- Whether the correct pre-shared key and machine certificate are available at both the client and server-side.
- L2TP port (UDP 1701) not blocked by Firewall.
- IKE port (UDP port 500, UDP port 4500) not blocked by Firewall.
- The correct machine certificate is available at both the client and server-side.
VPN Error Code 609, 633
Error Code Description:
- 609: A device type was specified that does not exist.
- 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.
Cause of the Error: The prime cause of this error is due to VPN misconfiguration inside the system.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 609, 633
- For Windows 7: If the VPN created manually, the Diagnose button would be available for the ‘Miniport missing’ issue on the Error page. Click on that button > Apply Fix this > the issue will be fixed automatically by the system.
- For Windows Vista or XP: Open command prompt and add the following commands to fix the issue.
- netcfg.exe -e -c p -i
(Miniport Name for different tunnels can be MS_PPTP, MS_L2TP, MS_SSTP)
- Stop and Start ‘RasMan’ (‘Remote Access Connection Manager’) service.
- netcfg.exe -e -c p -i
VPN Error Code 732, 734, 812
Error Code Description:
- 732: Your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocols.
- 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated.
- 812: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server.
Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.
Cause of the Error: During the VPN configuration, if the authentication protocol configured on the VPN server is MS-CHAP and if the VPN client is Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 10, the user may get this error.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 732, 734, 812: Make sure to configure the VPN server with highly secured authentication protocols like MS-CHAPv2 or EAP based authentication.
VPN Error Code 806
Error Code Description: The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Cause of the Error: This error primarily occurs when the Firewall blocks the GRE Protocol between the Client to Server.
Troubleshooting VPN Error Code 806
- Let your Firewall system allow both incoming and outgoing GRE Protocol (47).
- Configure the SSTP-based VPN tunnel on the client and server-side; it will open the VPN connection on Firewall, NAT and Web Proxies.
VPN Error Code 789, 835
Error Code Description:
- 789: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer.
- 835: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer could not authenticate the remote computer. This could be because one or more fields of the certificate presented by the remote server could not be validated as belonging to the target destination.
Cause of the Error: This error primarily occurs when the IPSec negotiation fails for L2TP/IPSec connections.
- L2TP based VPN client or server is behind NAT.
- Certificate Key and Pre-shared key is not matching.
- Machine certificate or trusted root machine certificate not available at VPN Server.
- Machine Certificate on VPN Server doesn’t have the ‘Server Authentication’ as per the SKU.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 789, 835
- Use the correct certificate key and pre-shared key during the connection.
- The trusted machine certificate available on the VPN server.
VPN Error Code 766
Error Code Description: A certificate could not be found. Connections that use the L2TP protocol over IPSec require the installation of a machine certificate, also known as a computer certificate.
Cause of the Error: When the valid machine certificate is not available on the client’s machine, this error will occur.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 766: Make sure to use the valid machine certificate on the client’s machine.
VPN Error Code 691
Error Code Description: The remote connection was denied because the username and password combination you provided is not recognized, or the selected authentication protocol is not permitted on the remote access server.
Cause of the Error: Usually when the user enters the incorrect credentials, this error occurs.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 691:
- To fix this error, make sure to enter the correct credentials.
- In case you forget the password, contact your VPN provider to assign you the new password.
- While giving the credentials, make sure to turn on or off the “Caps Lock” key, if the system is not accepting it.
VPN Error Code 809
If you’re a Star Wars fan, then definitely you might have already watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 7, and those who haven’t may want to watch it. But, it’s available only on Disney+. Though Disney Plus is available in most countries, there are still countries where it’s not available. So, if you belong to such countries that don’t have Disney+ available, then there’s not an option for you as you’ll face geo-restriction issues.
However, VPN is the solution, and here we’ve provided a list of six different VPN providers that can prove helpful to you. It comes with various security and privacy features that will help you stay anonymous throughout the session while keeping your information secured and private with their latest encryption standards.
Error Code Description: The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network devices (e.g., firewalls, NAT, routers, etc.) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem.
Cause of the Error: In common terms, this error occurs when the Firewall blocks the VPN ports that communicate between the Client and Server. The firewall may have blocked the PPTP port (TCP port 1723), L2TP or IKEv2 port (UDP port 500, UDP port 4500).
Troubleshooting VPN Error 809:
- From your Firewall, open the connection for PPTP port (TCP port 1723), L2TP or IKEv2 port (UDP port 500, UDP port 4500).
- Or else, use the SSTP VPN Tunnel to avoid firewall to block ports for NAT, Proxy or VPN connections.
VPN Error Code 13806
Error Code Description: IKE failed to find valid machine certificate. Contact your Network Security Administrator about installing a valid certificate in the appropriate Certificate Store.
Cause of the Error: When the VPN server does not have the machine certificate available, you may get this error.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 13806: Add the correct machine certificate on the VPN Server. If you do not have the machine certificate, contact your VPN provider to fix the issue.
VPN Error Code 13801
Error Code Description: IKE authentication credentials are unacceptable.
Cause of the Error: Here is the list of possible causes for this error.
- Machine certificate on the RAS server has expired.
- Machine certificate used for IKEv2 validation on the RAS Server does not have ‘Server Authentication’ as the EKU (Enhanced Key Usage).
- Root certificate that validates the RAS server certificate is not available on the client-side.
- Client’s VPN Server Name is not the same as the Subject Name of the Server certificate.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 13801: This error can be fixed by your VPN provider only, contact your VPN provider and explain your issue.
VPN Error Code 0x800704C9
Cause of the Error: If the SSTP ports are missing on the Server, the user may get this error.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x800704C9: Implement the following steps which would verify the RAS Server has enough ports configured for the remote access.
- Start Routing and Remote Access from MMC snap-in
- Press + button to expand the server
- Right-click on Ports > click Properties
- From the list of names, select on WAN Miniport (SSTP) and click on Configure
- From the Maximum ports list modify the numbers as per your requirements and click OK button
- Now, from the Port Properties dialog box, click OK
VPN Error Code 0x80070040
Cause of the Error: When the ‘Server Authentication Certificate’ is not installed on the RAS server, this error gets triggered.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x80070040: Enable the ‘Server Authentication Certificate’ on the RAS Server to eliminate this error.
VPN Error Code 0x800B0101
Error Code Description: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
Cause of the Error: When the ‘Server Authentication Certificate’ not installed on the Routing and Remote Access server, this error gets triggered.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x800B0101: Enable the ‘Server Authentication Certificate’ on both Routing and Remote Access Server.
VPN Error Code 0x800B0109
Error Code Description: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trusted provider.
Cause of the Error: When Trusted Root Certification Authorities store of the client’s computer is missing the trusted root certification authority (CA) certificate, this error gets triggered.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x800B0109: Enable the missing Trusted Root Certificate Authority certificate on the Trusted Root Certification Authority store of the client’s computer.
VPN Error Code 0x800B010F
Error Code Description: The certificate’s CN name does not match with the passed value.
Cause of the Error: When the server’s hostname which was specified on the VPN connection does not match with the subject name of the specified SSL Certificate, this error will appear.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x800B010F: Make sure to verify the RAS Server used for the SSL has the correct subject name. During the VPN server Connection, if the client is configured to use the FQDN name, the SSL Certificate must carry the same FQDN in the subject name. If the certificate with the exact subject name is not available, you need to install a new certificate on the RAS Server.
VPN Error Code 0x80092013
Error Code Description: The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.
Cause of the Error: When the client’s computer failed to process the ‘Certificate Revocation checking’ for the SSL Certificate; attained from the VPN Server, this error occurs.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x80092013: First, verify if the server that hosts the CRL (Certificate Revocation List) is available at the client-side before connecting to the VPN tunnel. When the client’s computer executes the CRL check while establishing the SSL Connection (HTTPS) and the CRL Check query directly sent to the CRL Server, the CRL server must be available for the client.
VPN Error Code 0x800704D4
Error Code Description: The network connection was aborted by the local system.
Cause of the Error: When the hostname to the VPN Server not resolved by the forward proxy in-front of the VPN client, this error gets triggered.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x800704D4: From the Internet Explorer, check for the proxy settings. If it is perfect, try to reconnect to the website you were browsing. If you are still unable to fix the issue, you must contact your network administrator to fix it. Generally, this error can be a temporary one, and it can be fixed automatically.
VPN Error Code 0x80072746
Error Code Description: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Cause of the Error: When the server machine certificate is not installed on the VPN server, this error gets triggered.
Troubleshooting VPN Error 0x80072746: The only way to fix this error is, contact your network administrator and ask whether the correct server machine certificate is installed on the VPN Server or not. If it is installed properly, try to execute the following command from your VPN server command prompt ‘netsh http show ssl’.
On the whole, you should understand that most of the VPN connection errors arise due to client misconfiguration, inadequate features and customer support that lacks proficiency. Hence it is always sensible to go for a VPN provider that facilitates seamless installation and configuration process, rather than setting up the client manually. VPNStore helps you choose top-grade VPN providers that come with striking features and reliable customer support, required for uninterrupted service. Check out our top 10 ranked VPN providers and go error-free.