To keep your data secure, you will need a VPN for your laptop or PC that runs on Windows 10. This article aims at educating you on how to set up a VPN on Windows 10.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Windows 10?
There are different reasons why you need a VPN for Windows 10. A VPN is an anonymity tool that can make you invisible online and also anonymize you. At the same time, it will encrypt your data so that it will remain private. By encrypting your data, a VPN will keep your online activities hidden from hackers, your ISP, and the government, as well.
Even if you are connected to an unprotected public WiFi network, a VPN will secure your connection. Likewise, when you torrent files, your ISP and other third-parties can snoop into your online activities. But by connecting to a VPN, you can hide your IP and torrent safely.
Similarly, geo-blocks will be a thing of the past with a VPN as trustworthy VPNs can evade all kinds of geo-restrictions. You can connect to the VPN and access any geo-blocked service like Netflix, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Sling TV, and more.
Here are a few reasons why you need a VPN for Windows 10:
- Protect data from cybercriminals and hackers
- Access websites and streaming services unavailable in your location by bypassing geoblocks
- Mask your real IP address and location
- Torrent anonymously
- Evade government censorships
It is a good idea to use a VPN on your computer that runs on Windows 10 as it will secure your computer. You will use your computer for different purposes like browsing, streaming, gaming, and more. With a trustworthy VPN, you can remain protected at all times, no matter what you do online.
How to Setup a VPN on Windows 10
1. Set up a VPN manually on Windows 10
2. Set up a VPN automatically on Windows 10
While it is pretty easy and quick to set up a VPN automatically on Windows 10, you can also set it up manually if you wish to do so.
1. Set Up a VPN on Windows 10 Manually
To set up the VPN manually on Windows 10, you will need to create a VPN profile and then connect to the VPN. Here are the steps involved.
Subscribe to a VPN
Before you set up the VPN on Windows 10, you will need the login information. Make sure you have your username and password to login to the VPN. If you have not signed up for a VPN, you must first subscribe to a VPN to gain access to the VPN’s server address.
Create a VPN Profile
Start by clicking on the start button, the button with the Windows logo at the bottom left corner.
- Then go to Settings > Network & Internet
- Click on VPN from the list on the left and click Add a VPN connection.
- Now, enter the following information
- VPN provider: select Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: Enter a name for your VPN that you can easily recognize, as you will be looking for this name every time you connect.
- Server name or address: You need to enter the name of the VPN server you received from your VPN provider.
- VPN type: Enter the VPN protocol you wish to use, for eg., IKEv2, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, or PPTP. This depends on the protocols you VPN service provider offers. You can also choose Automatic if the option is available.
- Type of sign-in info: Enter the type of sign-in information you wish to use to log in, for eg., username and password or one-time password.
- Username and Password: Provide your username and password you use to login to the VPN.
- Now, click Save
Connect to the VPN
You are all set to connect to the VPN as you have created the VPN profile.
- On the taskbar, you will see the Network icon, where you will have to select the VPN connection you would like to use.
- If you see the connect button, you can select Connect.
- If you don’t see the connect button and if the VPN section opens, you can select the VPN connection there. Then you can select Connect.
- If required, enter your login credentials.
2. Set Up a VPN on Windows 10 Automatically
When compared to setting up the VPN on Windows manually, it is pretty simple and easy to set up the VPN on Windows automatically. That is because most VPN services come with apps for Windows. You just have to download the version of the app suitable for your Windows desktop or laptop. In just a few quick steps, you can download the app and connect to a VPN server in the location of your choice.
However, not all VPNs come with apps for Windows so you will need to go for a VPN that comes with apps for Windows 10. You can either do your research and find a VPN with apps for different platforms or choose from the VPNs we recommend for Windows 10.
- Once you decide on the VPN service you wish to use, create an account and subscribe to the VPN. Make sure to visit the official website of the VPN provider. You will see different subscription plans, for eg., one month, one year, or two year subscription plans. Based on your need, you can choose a subscription plan.
- You can now find the app for Windows 10 and download the software. Most VPN services send an email with the link to download the app for your device. If you do not receive an email, you can download it from the official website.
- You can now install the VPN software and launch the app. You can follow the instructions to download and install the app on your device.
- With your login credentials, which includes your username and password, you can log in to your account.
- You can now choose the desired VPN server and start browsing the web. For example, if you wish to access Netflix US while abroad, you can connect to an American server and access American Netflix. If you are just looking to secure your internet connection, you can choose any suitable server and start browsing the web.
Best VPNs for Windows 10 – Our Recommendation
- Surfshark VPN
- Ivacy VPN
You can read our detailed article on the Best VPN for Microsoft/Windows 10, 8, and 7 to know more about the VPNs mentioned above.
The above two methods will help you to install the VPN on your Windows PC or laptop quickly. Whether you set up the VPN automatically or manually, once you set it up, you can test it and make sure your computer that runs on Windows 10 is successfully connected to the VPN. Though you can manually connect the VPN, setting it up automatically is the easiest way. We hope this article helped you understand how to set up a VPN on Windows 10.