In recent times, along with the popular streaming devices like the Apple TV, Amazon TV, Chromecast, and others such as the Ps4 and the Xbox One, Roku has garnered attention lately. Since its launch from 2018, Roku has become one of the popular devices to watch on-demand content and channels.
Though, these platforms come with little gimmicks that appeal to audiences in many ways, like unique touch controllers, sleek design, or even overly hyped mega-app stores for marketing campaigns. Again, among these streaming devices, Roku is still a standout from the rest because it rarely has any exterior motive. For example, Apple is subjective for its iTunes store, whereas Amazon likes to push its audiences towards Amazon video.
On the other hand, Roku works well with almost all the apps you have or need, and you won’t find a single application missing. For example, when Apple TV newly came out, there wasn’t an Amazon video on it for an extended period of time.
Roku is also one of the rare streaming devices that offers good numbers of games along with specific buttons to access popular channels such as Netflix.
Though like many others, Roku is mainly for the United States, and many of the channels like Netflix USA, HBO GO, Hulu are not accessible if the user is not from the USA, eventually making it geo-restricted.
Guide to Unblock Channels on Roku Using VPN
VPN is one of the excellent services which helps bypass geographic restrictions and watch favorite channels on Roku, including US channels from any part of the world. It’s helpful to bypass and unlock geo-restricted content making all your ideal streaming services available to you while keeping your web connection safe and anonymous. However, it’s essential that you go for the VPN, which is compatible with routers, offers secure, unrestricted access, and smooth streaming.
That said, purchasing a VPN supported router is one of the known and easy options to unblock Roku completely, especially in the geo-restricted countries.
Here’s What You Should Look in a VPN for Roku
Best VPNs to Unblock Channels on Roku
- Supports multiple VPN protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, and TCP/UDP.
- Unlimited server switching.
- Inverse split-tunneling to protect applications and devices.
- Three simultaneous connections from a single account.
- Compatible with the majority of devices – Mac, Android, iPhone/iPad, Windows, and Linux.
- Useful for personal as well as business purposes.
- Offshore privacy protection.
- Best-in-class encryption
- 3,000+ VPN servers
- Unlimited bandwidth
Moreover, it’s an ideal option for your Roku because of its ultra-fast servers, which is best for high-resolution video broadcasting.
- 5000+ servers across the world.
- One account offers simultaneous connections for up to 6 devices.
- Supports various platforms such as Android, Mac, Linux, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Windows, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Chromecast, iOS, including Roku.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Obfuscated server, which helps to mask traffic for bypassing censorship in countries like Egypt, Iran, China.
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
- Use up to 6 devices
- More than 700 servers in 70+ different locations.
- High-end 256-bit AES encryption.
- Unblocks popular streaming like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video,
- BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
- Supports security functionality like kill-switch.
- Chameleon protocol for hiding VPN activity.
- Get Unlimited Streaming
- Protect Your Privacy
- Access Restricted Content
4. Ivacy VPN
- More than 450 servers in 100+ locations all over the world.
- Supports robust VPN protocols – L2TP, OpenVPN, PPTP, SSTP, and IKEv2.
- High-end AES-256-GCM data encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Supports five multiple logins from one single account.
- Compatible with various platforms like Windows, Linux, smart TVs, Xbox, Android, iOS, Mac, Roku, Kodi, and routers.
- Malware Protection
- High Speed Downloading
- No Browsing Logs Policy
5. IPVanish VPN
- Supports various platforms like Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, Fire TV, Linux, Chrome OS, routers, including Roku.
- Standard 256-AES encryption.
- Multiple VPN protocols IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and OpenVPN.
- Unlimited Server Switching.
- Some of the servers unblock Netflix.
- Supports Split tunneling, Port forwarding, Internet kill switch.
- Allows connection through UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and TCP (Transmission Control Protocol).
- Connects up to 10 devices simultaneously from one single account.
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Zero traffic logs
- Unlimited server switching
How to Install a VPN on a Roku? Can You Put a VPN on Roku?
Steps to Set Up VPN on Your Router
- Go to VPN’s website and login to your account.
- Download the OpenVPN configuration files of the server you want to connect to. For example, the US server if you wish to access US content.
Note: A unique username and password will be given to you.
- Go to your router’s control panel. Generally, it has the 192.168.1.1 address by default. (Enter it into your address bar of the browser.)
- Login with the credentials of your router. By default, the username and password are “admin” in case you’ve changed it.
- Go to the Advanced Settings and click on the VPN.
- Select the tab VPN Client and click on Add Profile.
- Description: Give the name to your VPN connection. For example, ExampleVPN
- Username: Give the username provided by your VPN provider.
- Password: Give the password provided by your VPN provider.
- Import.ovpn file: Now, upload the file OpenVPN, which you’ve downloaded.
- Click OK then Activate to activate your VPN connection.
Once you complete the above steps, your VPN is installed onto your router, which means your Roku is ready to be used. Lastly, you can also verify your desired server location by running the DNS leak test.
Though, before you connect your Roku stick on your VPN enabled router, be sure to verify that you’ve got the US-based account to access American streaming services.
Here’s How to Setup Us Based Roku Account for Accessing the Content From the USA
- In your browser go through the Roku configuration section – https://my.roku.com/index
- Set up an account as you usually do, and in the country, go with the USA.
- Enter the US-based zip code. For example, 90210.
- Now, reset your device by clicking and holding on the Reset button from the back of your Roku device for around 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once the Roku restarts, log in and enter your US Roku credentials.
How to Connect Roku With Your VPN Enabled Router?
- From the Roku’s main menu, go to the Settings > Network.
- From the Network menu, select Wireless (Wi-Fi).
- From the screen “Choose your network,” select the VPN enabled virtual router or router that you created earlier. (Name of the router is the VPN connection which you named and configured earlier.)
- Enter the password which you gave for your VPN connection and click Connect.
Once your connection is established, you’ll be able to stream the whole library along with the US channels on your Roku device by a few clicks from your remote.
Here’s How to Add American Channels on Roku
Firstly, you’ve to create an American Roku account, for which steps are mentioned above for setting up the US-based Roku account. Secondly, to add US channels like HBO Now, Sling TV, Amazon Prime, and Hulu onto your Roku, go through the below-mentioned steps.
- On your remote press, the ‘Home’ button for opening the main screen.
- To access the Roku Channel Store, scroll down and select the option ‘Streaming Channels’
- Search the channels you would like to add.
- Once you select the channel you want to add, press the ‘OK’ button from your Roku’s remote control.
- Lastly, select the option ‘Add Channel’ and install your selected channel on your Roku device.
Lastly, by using our instructions mentioned above, you’ll be able to set up a VPN onto your router, connect Roku with your VPN enabled router, and the Roku channels. In case you’re looking for any discounts or coupon codes, we’ve your back. Just go through our VPN coupon page and get the best deals before it ends.
- Best VPN for Netflix
- Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video
- Best VPN to unblock Hulu
- Best VPN to unblock BBC iPlayer
- Best VPN for Kodi
- Watch Disney+ Online
- Best VPN for Popcorn Time
- Watch Hotstar in USA, UK, and Outside India
- Global TV Canada: Unblock with VPN
- Watch IMDb Freedive or IMDb TV From Anywhere
- Best VPN to unblock Apple TV