In recent times, along with the popular streaming devices like the Apple TV, Amazon TV, Chromecast, and others such as the Ps4 and the Xbox One, Roku has garnered attention lately. Since its launch from 2018, Roku has become one of the popular devices to watch on-demand content and channels.
Though, these platforms come with little gimmicks that appeal to audiences in many ways, like unique touch controllers, sleek design, or even overly hyped mega-app stores for marketing campaigns. Again, among these streaming devices, Roku is still a standout from the rest because it rarely has any exterior motive. For example, Apple is subjective for its iTunes store, whereas Amazon likes to push its audiences towards Amazon video.
On the other hand, Roku works well with almost all the apps you have or need, and you won’t find a single application missing. For example, when Apple TV newly came out, there wasn’t an Amazon video on it for an extended period of time.
Roku is also one of the rare streaming devices that offers good numbers of games along with specific buttons to access popular channels such as Netflix.
Though like many others, Roku is mainly for the United States, and many of the channels like Netflix USA, HBO GO, Hulu are not accessible if the user is not from the USA, eventually making it geo-restricted.
Guide to Unblock Channels on Roku Using VPN
VPN is one of the excellent services which helps bypass geographic restrictions and watch favorite channels on Roku, including US channels from any part of the world. It’s helpful to bypass and unlock geo-restricted content making all your ideal streaming services available to you while keeping your web connection safe and anonymous. However, it’s essential that you go for the VPN, which is compatible with routers, offers secure, unrestricted access, and smooth streaming.
That said, purchasing a VPN supported router is one of the known and easy options to unblock Roku completely, especially in the geo-restricted countries.
Here’s What You Should Look in a VPN for Roku
Best VPNs to Unblock Channels on Roku
- SurfShark VPN
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest premium VPNs on the market for more than a decade. Founded earlier in 2009, ExpressVPN is one of the VPN giant registered in the British Virgin Islands. It’s an award-winning VPN solution known for its best in class leak proofing and encryption apps and extensions. It’s among those rare VPN providers who provide a mixture of proprietary protocols likeIKEv2 and OpenVPN to bypass the most aggressive restrictions of countries such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Turkey.
ExpressVPN is a global renown VPN provider that comes with 3000+ servers, which are across 94 different countries. It’s the fastest VPN service offering a single-panel interface and smooth streaming of Netflix, B.B.C. iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Now T.V., HBO, Sky. It even supports Torrenting and various platforms such as Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, and routers.
If you still have questions regarding their customer support service or would like to know whether it fits your budget or not, we recommend going through ExpressVPN review, which will help you decide whether to go with this VPN provider.
Founded earlier in 2012 and operated by Tefincom co S.A., NordVPN is one of the high-level security and privacy based VPN solutions, the competitor of big giants like ExpressVPN.
NordVPN is a versatile VPN solution that comes with top-level security features and strict no-log policy, and a massive list of 5K+ servers spread across the world.
Some of the features offered by NordVPN that excites privacy enthusiasts are like, strong military-grade encryption, strict no-log policy.
Automatic kill switch, onion over VPN for an extra protection layer for T.O.R. users, SmartPlay to bypass the geo-restriction issue of streaming services like Amazon Prime, B.B.C. iPlayer, Netflix, and much more.
- 5200+ servers in 62 countries
- Use up to 6 devices
- Next-generation Encryption
- Double VPN Feature
- Strict no-logs policy
If you still have a question or want to know more about it, such as the pricing, how’s their customer support service, or something else, we would suggest going through the NordVPN review, which will help you know whether to go with this VPN solution.
Cool, like its logo, VyprVPN, is a safe and legit VPN from Switzerland. It’s one of the popular VPN networks which come with robust and easy to use layout and settings for different devices.
They’re one of the “Tier-1” VPN solutions, which means they’ve complete control over their VPN service, making them one of the securities and privacy-oriented VPN solutions in the VPN industry that offers proper end-to-end security.
Some other exciting features that make this Switzerland based VPN solution interesting are like decent 700+ servers spread across different locations. Strong 256-bit A.E.S. encryption to secure your data and bypass popular streaming services like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and B.B.C. iPlayer. The chameleon protocol to bypass internet restrictions of the aggressive country such as China.
- 160 server locations
- Network Lock Kill switch
- Zero-knowledge DNS
- VPN split tunneling
- Stream Sports online
If you still have questions or would like to know more about it, such as it offers good customer support, do they have an excellent instructional guide, or have any other query, we suggest going through the VyprVPN review over here. It’ll guide you through all your queries.
4. Surfshark VPN
The newly established Surfshark, founded in 2018, is a rare VPN with such an immense recognition in such a short time.
Free from the intrusive 5 Eyes intelligence alliance comes with many exciting features making it quite exciting for our privacy enthusiasts.
It is loaded with strong AES-256 encryption, popular VPN protocol like OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, IP, and DNS leak protection.
Strict no-log policy, simultaneous VPN connection for unlimited devices, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited torrenting, 1000+ servers in more than 60 locations, etc.
- Connect unlimited Devices
- AES-256-GCM encryption
- IP & DNS leak protection
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Free Browser Extensions
- Strict no-logs policy
If you still have questions or would like to know further regarding their customer support service, knowledgebase section, or whether it fits your requirement. Then, we suggest going through the Surfshark VPN review written over here, which will guide you to make a final decision.
5. Ivacy VPN
Singapore-based VPN solution, IvacyVPN, is the VPN industry’s known name, which is quite popular for its speed. They come with the belief of complete online freedom without any surveillance issue. Though being the newbie in the VPN market, it offers exceptional cryptography to secure user’s sessions, making them popular to privacy enthusiasts and even the ones who’re new to VPN service.
Apart from this, features offered by Ivacy VPN are like 450+ servers in more than 100 locations to make your surfing experience better. Popular VPN protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, IKEv2, and L2TP with substantial AES-256-GCM encryption standards keep your data safe, unlimited bandwidth, simultaneous logins from five devices using a single account, compatibility with different platforms like Windows, Xbox, Android, iOS, Linux, and so on.
- 3500+ Servers in 100+ Locations
- 10 Devices Simultaneous Logins
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Malware Protection
- P2P Support
How to Install a VPN on a Roku? Can You Put a VPN on Roku?
Steps to Set Up VPN on Your Router
- Go to VPN’s website and login to your account.
- Download the OpenVPN configuration files of the server you want to connect to. For example, the US server if you wish to access US content.
Note: A unique username and password will be given to you.
- Go to your router’s control panel. Generally, it has the 192.168.1.1 address by default. (Enter it into your address bar of the browser.)
- Login with the credentials of your router. By default, the username and password are “admin” in case you’ve changed it.
- Go to the Advanced Settings and click on the VPN.
- Select the tab VPN Client and click on Add Profile.
- Description: Give the name to your VPN connection. For example, ExampleVPN
- Username: Give the username provided by your VPN provider.
- Password: Give the password provided by your VPN provider.
- Import.ovpn file: Now, upload the file OpenVPN, which you’ve downloaded.
- Click OK then Activate to activate your VPN connection.
Once you complete the above steps, your VPN is installed onto your router, which means your Roku is ready to be used. Lastly, you can also verify your desired server location by running the DNS leak test.
Though, before you connect your Roku stick on your VPN enabled router, be sure to verify that you’ve got the US-based account to access American streaming services.
Here’s How to Setup Us Based Roku Account for Accessing the Content From the USA
- In your browser go through the Roku configuration section – https://my.roku.com/index
- Set up an account as you usually do, and in the country, go with the USA.
- Enter the US-based zip code. For example, 90210.
- Now, reset your device by clicking and holding on the Reset button from the back of your Roku device for around 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once the Roku restarts, log in and enter your US Roku credentials.
How to Connect Roku With Your VPN Enabled Router?
- From the Roku’s main menu, go to the Settings > Network.
- From the Network menu, select Wireless (Wi-Fi).
- From the screen “Choose your network,” select the VPN enabled virtual router or router that you created earlier. (Name of the router is the VPN connection which you named and configured earlier.)
- Enter the password which you gave for your VPN connection and click Connect.
Once your connection is established, you’ll be able to stream the whole library along with the US channels on your Roku device by a few clicks from your remote.
Here’s How to Add American Channels on Roku
Firstly, you’ve to create an American Roku account, for which steps are mentioned above for setting up the US-based Roku account. Secondly, to add US channels like HBO Now, Sling TV, Amazon Prime, and Hulu onto your Roku, go through the below-mentioned steps.
- On your remote press, the ‘Home’ button for opening the main screen.
- To access the Roku Channel Store, scroll down and select the option ‘Streaming Channels’
- Search the channels you would like to add.
- Once you select the channel you want to add, press the ‘OK’ button from your Roku’s remote control.
- Lastly, select the option ‘Add Channel’ and install your selected channel on your Roku device.
Lastly, by using our instructions mentioned above, you’ll be able to set up a VPN onto your router, connect Roku with your VPN enabled router, and the Roku channels. In case you’re looking for any discounts or coupon codes, we’ve your back. Just go through our VPN coupon page and get the best deals before it ends.
- Best VPN for Netflix
- Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video
- Best VPN to unblock Hulu
- Best VPN to unblock BBC iPlayer
- Best VPN for Kodi
- Watch Disney+ Online
- Best VPN for Popcorn Time
- Watch Hotstar in USA, UK, and Outside India
- Global TV Canada: Unblock with VPN
- Watch IMDb Freedive or IMDb TV From Anywhere
- Best VPN to unblock Apple TV
- Best VPN for Twitch TV